Console serial speed

Russell Cattelan cattelan at thebarn.com
Mon Jul 28 10:04:04 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 07:12, Daniel Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bruce M Simpson wrote on Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:06:36AM +0100:
> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:06:28PM -0500, Russell Cattelan wrote:
> > > How does one set the serial speed of the console.
> >
> > Does specifying BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=57600 not work?
>
> No, I've experienced the same problem years ago.
> The funny thing is, that it worked on some machines,
> while it didn't on others.
>
> I worked around the problem by putting
> machdep.conspeed=38400
> in /etc/sysctl.conf, so the speed is reset to the right
> speed, once the system is up.
>
> Of course this doesn't work for boot2, loader or the kernel
> itself. These three components seem to set their console speed
> in some cases arbitrarly.
Yes this seems to be the case.
No matter how hard I try to convince sio.c to default to 57600
(I even went as far at setting
static  volatile speed_t        comdefaultrate = CONSPEED;
to 57600)
so there would be no confusion.
I still end up with random console speed each time.

The boot loader did pick up the speed from /etc/make.conf and
does come up every time at 57600.

--
Russell Cattelan <cattelan at thebarn.com>