sys/dev/ppbus/lpt.c "advanced mode not available, polling"

othermark atkin901 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 13:41:20 PDT 2003

I posted a message earlier to -stable, but maybe this a better
forum for this question.  I have a print server at home running
-stable, and as part of bootup I run lptcontrol -e to enable
extended mode on the port (since it comes up in compatible mode, I
could set this with flags in the kernel). It seems without doing this,
things sent to the printer take forever to print.

During anysort of print operation I get thousands of these messages,
generated by line 788 of sys/dev/ppbus/lpt.c:

786             case EINVAL:
787                 /* advanced mode not avail */
788                 log(LOG_NOTICE, LPT_NAME "%d: advanced mode
not avail, polling\n", unit);
789                 break;

This is quite annoying, so I wanted to know why I was getting this
message because it seems that it occurs even with just lptcontrol -p.
I was wondering if there's any reason why this could not be done
in the case with EINVAL was returned from ppb_write() instead of
just complaining about it foreach call to ppb_write().   Something
like:

sc->sc_irq &= (~LP_ENABLE_EXT);
sc->sc_irq |= LP_ENABLE_IRQ;

added to the EINVAL case block.