pciconf -lv - /dev/pci error

William Michael Grim wgrim at siue.edu
Wed Dec 31 07:20:00 PST 2003

Hey!

I have 5.1-RELEASE installed on my system, and I've never needed to do a
"pciconf -lv" to probe the system before.  However, I tried doing it
earlier today after logging in through SSH and doing "su -" to become
superuser.  I received this error:

[root at snow 09:12:42 root]# pciconf -lv
pciconf: /dev/pci: Operation not permitted

[root at snow 09:15:41 root]# ls -l /dev/pci
crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  251,   0 Nov  2 05:09 /dev/pci

So, as you can see, the permissions are correct.  Perhaps I don't have
something compiled into my kernel?  I can attach a dmesg and kernel config
if it's necessary.

Thanks in advance.

William Michael Grim
Student, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
Unix Network Administrator, SIUE, Computer Science dept.
Phone: (217) 341-6552
Email: wgrim at siue.edu