Power consumption in desktop computers

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Mon Dec 29 16:37:49 PST 2003

Hi,

Martin Cracauer wrote:

> Tim Kientzle wrote on Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 11:22:10AM -0800:
>
>>Ouch!  I've tested a bunch of 'business-grade' desktops around
>>my office, and they all run 40-60 watts during normal use (not
>>including monitor) with peak power at boot time up to 70-80 watts.
>>This includes some P4s with lots of memory, CD-RWs, etc.
>>(The one exception is an AMD Duron system; it seems that
>>the AMD processors are uniformly power-hungry.)
>

> I wonder how that works.
>
> I finally got ahold of a datasheet of P-4 power consumption:
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm#Table2

The table shows the Processor Thermal Design Power. The CPU will
dissipate much less during normal operation and can dissipate even
a bit more as worse case. This number is important to the hardware
developer only.

The actual power can go down to less than 10% if the CPU is idle.

> Are these business-grade ones maybe equipped with mobile P-4s?

No, it is just the fact that modern CPU are most of the time just
idle.

Erich