Power consumption in desktop computers

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Fri Dec 26 00:27:32 PST 2003

Hi,

Martin Cracauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> those who followed might have noticed I was shopping for a notebook to
> replace some of my desktop system.  To make it short, the notebook
> vendors all pissed me off so good that I'm not going to get a notebook
> (details on request) so I am going for other options.

I do not wonder.

> I am surprised the harddrives take so few power, but the numbers are
> clear.  I was near replacing them with notebook drives, glad I
> measured.

They are specified with 10W idle, 30 W max.

> For some reason the AMD box draws about 5 watts when turned off.
> Power supply change may be a good idea.

All ATX machines draw some power. Some have a real power switch at
the back near the power plug.

I got recently a notebook with a Transmeta CPU in it. It runs some
9 hours on some 60W.

I also miss real desktop machines with this kind of CPUs. They
have enough computing power for most needs.

You might wait for Sun's blades with Mobile Athlons.

Do you know if FreeBSD 5.2 runs on a Transmeta CPU with support of
the power options? My notebook is the Fujitsu P2120.

Erich