cvsup hanging

John Schneider jonniluv at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:03:56 PST 2003

I am having a problem with cvsup on a fresh install of 5.1-RELEASE.  After
running cvsup -g -L 2 src-supfile the program does nothing after "Parsing
supfile..."  If I intentionaly make the supfile malformed, i.e. removing the
*default release=cvs line, cvsup will go past "Parsing supfile..." and give
me the appropriate error.
I have heard their are odd quicks with file permissions, so I exactly
mirrored my new setup with a know good system running -CURRENT. The supfile
permissions are 644 and the /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup directory has perms of
755, both owned by root:wheel (and I run cvsup as root.)
I also suspected their could be a problem with the connection, as it appears
that my system sends out a DNS lookup when I run cvsup.  Telnetting to
cvsup2.freebsd.org on port 5999 is no problem.  I am behind a firewall, but
I set it to be wide open for troubleshooting this problem.  I also tried
plugging in the IP address of several cvsup servers.

Running cvsup-without-gui 16.1h with supfile:
*default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org compress
*default release=cvs
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default delete use-rel-suffix