support for __thread

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Dec 22 01:13:46 PST 2003

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Well yes, but first would be getting the toolchain to emit
> proper code...

It'd help but the  linker is where all the action happens..
Marcel seems to understand this quite well.

> I can give the ld.so work a shot if someone gives me a general
> idea of how to get at the linker sets and registers in C code.

WHen you have read and understood the document that describes the __thread
implementation then I guess the next step would be to read and understand
ld (and the rt version).

> It would be nice if it worked with libc_r as well, is there
> any chance for that?  Webstone doesn't need kernel threads
> really... the relatively lightweight nature of libc_r doing
> strictly network IO makes it an attractive solution for what
> I'm trying to accomplish.

Once it has been done for libpthread then it is almost free for libc_r
because in libc_r we can set %gx once and forget it and just change the
address it points to whenever we schedule a different thread.

--
|   __--_|\  Julian Elischer         |       \     U \/ / hard at work in
|  /       \ julian at elischer.org     +------>x   USA    \ a very strange
| (   OZ    )                                \___   ___ | country !
+- X_.---._/    presently in San Francisco       \_/   \\