FreeBSD VFS System?

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 19 01:46:11 PST 2003

Ryan Sommers wrote:
> Are there any good web resources or books on the VFS system that the
> FreeBSD kernel uses? I'm guessing it might have originated from the
> 4.4BSD(?) interface. I've been attempting to read through the source
> code for different system calls (ie mkdir, rmdir, mount/umount) and
> haven't been able to get very far because of the substantial layers of
> indirection involved. For this reason I was looking at picking apart the
> different subsystems involved and was wondering if there was anything
> any more annotated then the source code itself.

The VFS stacking code came from the FICUS projct out of UCLA.  Here are
all their papers on FS stacking:

ftp://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/ficus/usenix_summer_90.ps.gz
ftp://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/ficus/OLD_TECHREPORTS/ucla_csd_900044.ps.gz
ftp://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/ficus/OLD_TECHREPORTS/ucla_csd_910007.ps.gz
ftp://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/ficus/WorkObjOrOpSys_90.ps.gz
ftp://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/ficus/heidemann_thesis.ps.gz
ftp://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/ficus/ucla_csd_930019.ps.gz

-- Terry