nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so problem

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 18 07:35:49 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:31:50AM -0700, christoffer at trollcomputing.com wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm running FreeBSD v. 5.1
> I'm having problems getting commands like
> chmod and chown to read winbind data.
>
> I've installed samba from ports with the
>
> make WITH_WINBIND_NSS=yes
>
> compile option.

Did you also

   make WITH_WINBIND_NSS=yes install

or just `make install' ?  Port make options must be set for every stage
(configure, build, install, package, etc).

> I've also created a
> /etc/nsswitch.conf file containing:
>
> passwd:     files winbind
> group:      files winbind
>
> I've copied the :
> /usr/ports/net/samba/work/samba-2.2.8a/source/nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so
> to:
> /usr/lib
> (also tried /usr/local/lib)

This is not necessary.  If the port was correctly installed, you will
have /usr/local/lib/nss_winbind.so.1.  What is the output of

  pkg_info -L samba-\* | grep nss_winbind

?

> I've done all the nessecary samba configurations, and can get user and groups
> with :
> wbinfo -u and -g. I've allso joined my NT domain with no problems,
> so winbind is working properly.
>
> The thing is that commands like chmod and chown can not assign to the winbind
> gathered user/group list.
>
> I belive these commands use the information from /etc/nsswitch.conf when they
> get usernames and groupnames?
>
> I just get "invalid argument" when trying to chown a file to a user from the
> winbind list.
>
> Please help me out!

Do you see anything in syslog at LOG_DEBUG level?

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org jvidrine at verio.net nectar at freebsd.org nectar at kth.se