REPOST - Installation Bug - All available versions hang on install

Thor Anderson thor_anderson at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 14 12:57:37 PST 2003

FreeBSD hangs without errors early in the install process on my computer.

I have downloaded and tested the CD ISO files for version 4.9 as well as
4.6.2 (with intent of upgrading) and neither appears to boot.  In both
cases, my computer completes POST, accesses the CD drive and hangs without
any messages.

Worried that my ability to create a bootable CD-ROM, I purchased the
commercial boxed set of 5.1 (“Power Pac” with handbook).  While this version
still does not install properly, it does provide the following message
before it hangs:

>CD Loader 1.01
>
>Building the boot loader arguments
>Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found

Having eliminated my options for CD install, I purchased a USB floppy drive
and attempted a floppy boot disk.  Again, the system hung without any
message.

The computer is able to boot other operating systems from CD.  Testing shows
Microsoft as well as Fedora project Linux boot and install properly.

The computer is an IBM NetVista 6645 W2U with an Intel Celeron 566MHz
processor, 128MB RAM, a 7.5GB hard disk, a 32x CDROM, and an Intel Express
Pro 10/100 PCI network adaptor.  What makes this system unusual is that it
is “legacy free” which means it has none of the traditional I/O ports (no
serial, parallel, PS/2 or even floppy interface).  All I/O is via one of the
five USB ports on the case.  I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version.

Since I can not install, I have no operating FreeBSD systems at my disposal.
  Therefore, I can not customize my own kernel.

I have executed a Google search for my problem and located another person
with the same type of computer and exactly the same symptoms when attempting
to install Redhat Linux.  While their problems are not your problems, the
following suggestions were made in that forum and may be valuable in my
case: