Default mfs/md fs on /tmp (Was: adding more ram

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Fri Dec 12 12:38:13 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:00:46PM -0800, freebsd-hackers-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:30:32 -0500
> From: Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines at halplant.com>
>
> Charles Swiger opined:
> > By the time Solaris transitioned from 2.6 to 2.7 (aka Solaris 7),
> > having /tmp be memory-based was the default system configuration, and I
> > would like to see FreeBSD pursue the same course.
>
> Seconded.
>
> I've been using mfs for /tmp since way back (3.x? 2.x?) and on 5.x (which
> is configured the same way, but implimented differently) in recent times
> and have found it to be nothing but useful and stable, speeding up
> numerous things while never obviously significantly impacting overall
> performance.

  I agree with the idea.

  The late lamented BSD/OS also did this on the default install, from
version 1.1 or thereabouts, and it worked very well for typical use.  I
think it would work well for the typical new FreeBSD user.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
Did you ever fly a kite in bed?  Did you ever walk with ten cats on your head?
  Did you ever milk this kind of cow?  Well we can do it.  We know how.
If you never did, you should.  These things are fun, and fun is good.
                                                                 -- Dr. Seuss