make installworld DESTDIR=foo troubles

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Fri Dec 12 08:55:34 PST 2003

Peter Edwards wrote [2003-12-12]:

[..]

> >>make installworld DESTDIR=$DESTDIR, or
> >>env -i make installworld DESTDIR=$DESTDIR

[..]

> Try
> env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj DESTDIR=$DESTDIR make installworld
>
> I suggested this before for a different problem, and it wasn't a
> solution, but this is the exact error that I got around by setting
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX explicitly.

Actually I was so annoyed by the failure that i traced it:

ktrace make installworld DESTDIR=foo

and I discovered that installworld wants an "install" under the obj/
directory (which makes sense).

Turned out that I messed with the mount points of the fbsd49/usr/src
directory, so "make" wasn't able to find "install" in the obj directory.

I solved by doing
rm -r /usr/obj
make buildworld
make installworld DESTDIR=foo

without changing mount points in between ;-)

but I guess that MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX would have done the trick.

thanks
Marco