Disillusioned with PAM

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Dec 11 23:01:50 PST 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 20:35, staf wagemakers wrote:
> >   /usr/bin/passwd will be a real pain to use for a Web GUI as it
> > requires a pty, which means extensive "coding around it" to fake one up
> > for it a la poppassd.  I thought PAM was going to solve this for me,
> > because of the "password management" function designed in... only it
> > appears so far that no PAM method which implements local password
> > changing actually exists on FreeBSD.  What a mess.
>
> CGIpaf supports FreeBSD without pam basically it runs "pwd_mkdb" to
> update the password. If you need c functions to update a password the
> source might be useful to you.  http://staf.patat.org/cgipaf/

The 'pw' command can change passwords (among many other things) and it does
not need a pty, eg..
echo newpassword | pw usermod foobar -h 0

In a CGI you would open a pipe to pw and feed it the password.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5