Default mfs/md fs on /tmp (Was: adding more ram

Andrew J Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Thu Dec 11 14:30:37 PST 2003

Charles Swiger opined:
> By the time Solaris transitioned from 2.6 to 2.7 (aka Solaris 7),
> having /tmp be memory-based was the default system configuration, and I
> would like to see FreeBSD pursue the same course.

Seconded.

I've been using mfs for /tmp since way back (3.x? 2.x?) and on 5.x (which
is configured the same way, but implimented differently) in recent times
and have found it to be nothing but useful and stable, speeding up
numerous things while never obviously significantly impacting overall
performance.

One reason for this is that unlike the default all-users-may-swamp-the-vm
on Solaris, I limit the size of the mfs to a "small" (relative to RAM)
one. If implimented, please default to a sensible size, preferably a small
fraction of RAM down to a sane minimum (1 MB).

It also avoids the newbie /tmp-on-/ problem.

-Andrew-