Disillusioned with PAM

staf wagemakers staf.wagemakers at belgacom.net
Thu Dec 11 04:07:05 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:04:17PM -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:

>   I've been looking (and grepping) through the source of the PAM
> modules in 4.8 and 4.9, to check how I should interface to a chauthtok
> method.  Not just the ones built and installed on the system, from
> /usr/src/lib/libpam, but the whole Linux PAM directory in
> /usr/src/contrib/libpam.
>
>   Can it really be that pam_krb5 is the *only* PAM module supplied
> which implements a working password change function?  I see three dummy
> versions (tacacs+ and the contrib pam_permit and pam_warn) and that
> seems to be it.

Some time ago I've created CGIpaf, a web interface for changing a user's
password, Autoreply and mail forwarding.

The pam password changer didn't work on FreeBSD, I didn't dig in the FreeBSD
source.  But I guess you did that for me ;-)

>   /usr/bin/passwd will be a real pain to use for a Web GUI as it
> requires a pty, which means extensive "coding around it" to fake one up
> for it a la poppassd.  I thought PAM was going to solve this for me,
> because of the "password management" function designed in... only it
> appears so far that no PAM method which implements local password
> changing actually exists on FreeBSD.  What a mess.

CGIpaf supports FreeBSD without pam basically it runs "pwd_mkdb" to
update the password. If you need c functions to update a password the
source might be useful to you.  http://staf.patat.org/cgipaf/

--
Staf Wagemakers

email:          staf at patat.org