adding more ram

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Wed Dec 10 18:09:01 PST 2003

> The same was true for 10.20 and 11 Versions of HPUX - I believe there once
> was I very long going debate when the "new" FreeBSD vm was made on the
> issue. The fundamental question at the time was what to do when you run out
> of swap/vm space. The 1-1 backing of swap space was seen as a way to avoid
> that you have resort to kill random processes in order to free up space and
> the tradition with the 2-1 swap ratio used to have "a performance reason"
> in the initial Unix Swap and paging implementations. I can't seem to recall
> the actual reason

While we're at this topic, can somebody plz briefly explain how does swap
performance depend on swap size? From `man 7 tuning` (May 25, 2001):

     The kernel's VM paging algorithms
     are tuned to perform best when there is at least 2x swap versus main mem-
     ory.  Configuring too little swap can lead to inefficiencies in the VM
     page scanning code as well as create issues later on if you add more mem-
     ory to your machine.

Is this still true? For -CURRENT also?

10.12.2003; 18:42:17
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/