Reward for fixing keyboard support in FreeBSD, apply within

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 7 14:47:12 PST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Mathew Kanner wrote:

> On Dec 07, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> > 	The way I see it, FreeBSD needs serious hacking to have
> > multiple concurrent keyboards support without serious hacking.
>
> 	ugh, you know what I mean.

With mouse support, we have a layer of indirection with moused that
combines input from various mouse devices into a single event stream via
/dev/sysmouse.  While I don't think we want a keyboard daemon at this
point, we might well need to add a similar abstraction in the kernel so
that different keyboard sources can be combined.  Just "plugging in" a USB
mouse and having it "just work" is extremely beneficial, and I agree we
need to be able to support the same with keyboards.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research