Reward for fixing keyboard support in FreeBSD, apply within

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Sun Dec 7 11:32:38 PST 2003

Hello Blaz,

On Dec 07, Blaz Zupan wrote:
> 1. No FreeBSD version boots from CD on this box. Tried with 4.x and 5.x.
> Both complain that they can't find their own boot device and don't know how to
> load the kernel. There are some signs that booting from any USB connected
> CDROM on any hardware is broken.

	I'm curious as to the output of lsdev from the loader.  Though
I doubt I can help you.

> 2. The more troubling problem is that upon bootup the keyboard does not work.
> The problem is that there are actually two USB keyboards. The first one is
> apparently some dummy device connected to the KVM while the second is the
> working keyboard. Logging in through the network and running "kbdcontrol -k
> /dev/kbd2" activates the keyboard. The problem is that only a single keyboard
> can be active at any time in FreeBSD and on boot the first detected keyboard
> becomes active. As the first USB keyboard on the Bladecenter is not actually
> connected anywhere, the keyboard is basically dead as soon as the FreeBSD
> kernel takes over. The box does not have any serial ports, so a serial console
> is out of the question.

	You could stick a kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd2 in rc.local or
something similiar.  Or you could try (warning, wild guess) the
following in the boot loader

	set hint.sc.2.at=isa
	set hint.sc.2.flags=0x200

	hth,
	--Mat

--
	We peer so suspiciously at each other that we cannot see
	that we Canadians are standing on the mountaintop of human