Incorrect identification of ultra dma ATA cables

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Fri Dec 5 12:28:19 PST 2003

Then Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> Well, I'm just sitting here and waching a few 80 conductor cables and
> they are:
> black - black - black x 3
> black - grey - black x 5
> blue - grey - black x 1
> red - grey - black x 1
>
> And the nice thing is that all are from Gigabyte motherboards boxes.

Yes, I plugged the cables in the right way.  The motherboard end, which
is supposed to use a blue socket connector, is the end that is not
connected to the PDIAG/CBLID signal line.

My Gigabyte motheboard did come with some astonishingly gaudy UDMA
cables.  Two were bright yellow with green (instead of blue) host
end connectors and a bright red stripe along the conductor#1 edge
of the cable.  One grey cable had a red (instead of blue) connector.
As near as I can tell, the electrons still drift along at pretty
much the same old speed regardless of the color.

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net