sata on -stable

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Tue Dec 2 09:29:17 PST 2003

Hi Soren and all,

Having just got a nice new motherboard, a PATA drive and a bunch of SATA
disks I discover that my homework wasn't too good. -stable isn't detecting
the VIA-8237 controller, and in particuluar it is not finding the SATA
disks.

I can hack the device recognition code to pick up the 8237 and set UDMA133
mode on the PATA drive I have in the machine, but I cannot seem to find my
two SATA drives. Any suggestions on how to at least find the drives - I
don't need the h/w RAID as I was going to use Vinum anyway.

What other alternatives are there?
    -current    Not ideal for the machine's use
    hack        Where to start?
    Promise     Any recommendations for a suitable SATA card for -stable?

Thanks in advance,

Duncan