if_gre, ip_gre and the like (pseudo-interfaces)

Jerry Toung jtoung at arc.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 31 23:03:40 PDT 2003

Hello hackers,
for another purpose, I am trying to understand the relationship between
gre_input and the gre pseudo-device.
My understanding is that gre_input is called by IP everytime it receives a
packet with a gre headers which after some processing performs
IF_ENQUEUE(ifq,m) to put it back on the IPqueue so that higher protocol such
TCP can do their thing. :-)
 I don't see how /dev/gre is ever used on receiving or sending, through
if_clone_attach??. Somebody educate me on my missing link.
 Thank you all,
 Jerry.