gcc weirdness

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Fri Aug 29 16:46:37 PDT 2003

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> What am I missing here?
>
> Let we have a function called popup(). Inside this function there is
> this code:
>
> list = get_children(ds, x, TYPE_ELEMENT);
>
> gdb shows these values:
>
> (gdb) print ds
> $46 = (Type *) 0x1
>
> (gdb) print x
> $47 = 0x86adb80
>
> So far, everything is fine. Now, let step down one frame in gdb:
>
> (gdb) down
> #5 0x0808b807 in get_children(ds=0x86adb80, node=0x1, tag_type=TYPE_E...
>
> In the source, there is a
>
> GList* get_children (Type* ds, PtrNode node, enum Types tag_type) {
>
> Do you see ds and node values swapped? The program crashes because of
> this swapping. What is wrong? I use gcc-3.3.1 on today's -CURRENT.

First, try putting printf() statements at the beginning of
get_children and just before the corresponding call to see
if that's really what's going on.

I presume you're seeing this while debugging a core dump after
a crash?  The crash may have mangled the stack, in which case,
gdb may not be correctly identifying the function arguments.

Tim