Minimalist FreeBSD 4.8

Fred Clift fcliftATverio.net at verio.net
Wed Aug 27 11:54:17 PDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, John Birrell wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 01:28:14PM -0500, Tyler Kellen wrote:
> > What I'd really like to know is how to strip down a working system.  If
>
> One way to do this initially is to install a full FreeBSD system on one
> disk partition and use a second partition for a trial install. FreeBSD's

Netbooting with PXE might make this particularly painless (painless after
setup - getting pxe boots working is another issue...)  man diskless for
more information about this -- you can then take your diskless image that
you boot and trim _it_ down and repeatedly reboot and have an easy way to
put things back (ie you mv them out and back in if you found them
necessary).  This of course requires 2 machines for development rather
than one, but it is fairly convienient.

--
Fred Clift - fclift at verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.