[hackers] Re: BCM4401 ethernet driver

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Tue Aug 26 12:31:26 PDT 2003

On 26-Aug-2003 dcswest at gmx.net wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Wondering whatever further may have come of this discussion regarding
> FreeBSD support of the built-in ethernet for the Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook.
> Running a dual-boot system with MS Windows XP and FreeBSD 4.8 Release since
> 5.1
> wouldn't seem to install, but not even sure how to make use of drivers beyond
> including their device code in the kernel configuration file, which may just
> be an issue with this current release.

I fixed the RX problem yesterday. Take a look at
http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/
and grab the lastest bcm_...tar.gz file. Untar this into /sys
then
cd /sys/modules/bcm
make
make install
kldload if_bcm

This driver is for -current only.

Once I've done a bit more work on it and committed it, I'll back port to
-stable.

Duncan