Looking for detailed documentation: Install to existing filesystem

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Aug 25 11:37:06 PDT 2003

Hi,
I've posted this request to 'questions' with no response, so now I'll
ask 'hackers'.

I'm a hobbyist, and for my personal education, I would like to learn how
to install FBSD from an existing filesystem, rather than from FTP or CD.

My intention is to copy the files to a directory on the second HDD of my
present FBSD system, and point sysinstall to that partition/directory
during the install.

This would be useful in situations where the Internet or CD's are not
available and the system needs to be re-installed.

I can't seem to find any "detailed" instructions.  The handbook just
glosses over it, saying follow the instructions on the screen in
sysinstall.  I've Googled for days and can only find other people asking
the same question and talking about their failures.

I need to know:

1) What files do I need to have on the partition from which I will be
installing?

2) ftp address and directory where I can find those files.

3) Can FBSD install from the .iso files?

4) A link to a tutorial or howto would really be nice. If none exists, I
might consider writing one once I figure out how to do it properly.

Please CC reply to me directly, as I am not subscribed to 'hackers'.

Thanks,
Charles