Kernel Panic on FreeBSD-5.1-p2 with SMP support

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 24 10:45:54 PDT 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Markus Paluschek wrote:

> I have Compaq Proliant Server with 2 Pentium Xeon IV 2,4GHz processors.
> After installing FreeBSD-5.1, upgrading to FreeBSD-5.1-p2 by cvsup and
> recompiling kernel with SMP support I;ve download ircd-hybrid-7 sources
> and installed on user account after running it and writing /restart
> my.ircd.server Im getting kernel panic: than system locks, need to
> reset.  What to do for fixing that?

There's a pretty useful chapter in the FreeBSD Developer's Handbook on
kernel debugging: the starting point for debugging a panic is to get a
stack trace and posting that.  I would actually suggest updating to
FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, since some pretty large bugfixes have gone into the
tree since the release, and they may well have fixed the problem you're
bumping into.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories