Modem won't connect at full speed

Lars Eighner eighner at io.com
Tue Aug 19 20:27:28 PDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Don Lewis wrote:

> On 19 Aug, Lars Eighner wrote:
> > This has been answered by somebody on some forum, but I lost it.

> If you manually dial using cu or tip, what connection speed does the
> modem report?

Oh geez, pull out the manual and spend all night trying to figure
out how to config cu or tip, whatever they are!

> >    BAUD=9600  PARITY=N  WORDLEN=8
> >    DIAL=TONE    ON HOOK   CID=0

> It is somewhat worrysome that your modem is reporting 9600 BAUD in the
> fixed DTE speed setting.  I don't know about USR Internal modems, but at
> least some implementations will pace the data flow rate to the reported
> DTE speed to avoid overwhelming the host with quick bursts of
> interrupts.  This might be the reason for your slow connection speeds.

Hmmm.  Of course this is "on hook."  I obtained these values using
minicom.  I don't know how to talk to the modem when it is connected
to somewhere, or more to the point how to query it.  I assumed the
9600 here was just the default for talking to the serial port, not
the pass-through.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner at io.com -finger for geek code-