GEOM Gate.

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Aug 17 14:16:31 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Aug 17), Pawel Jakub Dawidek said:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 08:50:30PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> +> What kind of hardware were you using?  2.5MB/sec NFS sounds
> +> abysmal.
>
> I don't think it is a hardware problem.
>
> Run this test on 5.1-CURRENT with:
>
> options		INVARIANTS
> options		INVARIANT_SUPPORT
> options		WITNESS
>
> and without any network and NFS optimization.

Yes, another test system (P5 MMX/233 laptop) drops its NFS throughput
from 4MB/sec to 2.5MB/sec when built with those flags.  So I'm assuming
you're doing these benchmarks on a comparable system?

I think this just demonstrates that you should not run benchmarks with
all your debugging flags enabled :)  Most people will not be running
production systems with WITNESS, and parts of the kernel that bog down
under the heavy load of WITNESS may work just fine on a regular kernal
config.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com