Debugging symbols with nasm

qhwt at myrealbox.com qhwt at myrealbox.com
Sat Aug 16 15:32:34 PDT 2003

Hello.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 09:14:30AM +0300, Vladimir Ciobanu wrote:
>   I'm not sure whether this is the best list to post to, but it's my
> first guess. I'm using nasm to compile some code I wrote. The
> developer-handbook suggests I use "-f elf", so that's what I did. Then I
> linked it with ld. The program works as expected, but I can't debug it
> with gdb; it reports "no debugging symbols found".
>   I've tried to get the possible debugging formats nasm can output, and
> I get "null" for both elf and aoutb ( ld can't even link aoutb .o files ).
>   Is there a way I could debug my nasm-compiled assembler sources,
> preferably with gdb ? I don't mind any binary format that can run on
> FreeBSD, nor any other linker.
>   Any suggestions are welcome.

Nasm man page explicitly states that it doesn't support debug symbols:
$ env PAGER='less +/debug' man nasm

However, there seem to be a patch that adds this feature. This is mentioned
in a netnews group comp.lang.asm.x86:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nasm+ELF+debug+symbol+group:comp.lang.asm.x86&hl=ja&lr=&ie=UTF-8&inlang=ja&group=comp.lang.asm.x86&c2coff=1&selm=k0Uga.49882$o8.1005465@twister.tampabay.rr.com&rnum=2

Cheers.