your mail

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 15 00:22:26 PDT 2003

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 03:14:27PM +0530, S.Gopinath wrote:
> > > I'm required to run a.out binaries like foxplus
> > > in a recent Intel based hardware. I have chosen
> > > FreeBSD 5.1 and successfuly installed. But I could
> > > not run a.out binaries like Foxplus. I tried it by
> > > load ibcs modules and aout modules in /boot/kernel
> > > directory. My foxplus did not work.
>
> Do you have the FreeBSD 2.x/3.x/4.x compatibility libraries installed
> (via sysinstall, or by setting the appropriate COMPAT* variable in
> /etc/make.conf)?
>
> If so, then please post an exact description of the commands you have
> run and the errors you receive.

FoxPro is the later version of FoxBase, which was a Xenix clone
of the Ashton-Tate dBase III software.

The a.out binaries he's talking about are for one of the Xenix
platforms that FoxPro ran on.  The only ones I'm aware of that
it ran on that were a.out were SCO Xenix 2.1.[23], 3.x, and
Altos Xenix (386 platforms: Altos 686 and 886).

He might also mean the Intel 320's running Intel Xenix, but I'm
pretty sure that FoxBase was the only thing that ran on those
platforms.

-- Terry