increasing number of buffers in BSD4.4

Eno Thereska eno at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:21:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

In McKusick's book "The design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating system", in the "Buffer Management subsection
of the I/O system overview, there is a a sentence that says
"...depending on available memory, a system is configured with from
100 to 1000 buffers.." referring to the number of struct buf* in the
integrated VM/IO buffer cache.

I have plenty of RAM in my computer, but it seems like there are always
1000 buffers configured (empirical observation, if I try to allocate
one more after that the system freezes). How do I increase the nubmer of
buffers? More consicely, how do I allocate more memory to the buffer
management subsystem?

Thanks
Eno