panic during nfs operations in 4.8S on Dell 2650

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 01:44:43 PDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Andrew Kinney wrote:

> On 8 Aug 2003, at 11:52, Mark Powell wrote:
>
> > #6  0xc0312ea3 in generic_bzero ()
>
> FWIW, I think this is where the problem occurred.  Probably tried
> to zero a page that didn't exist because of a failed KVA allocation.
>
> We had several panics on one of our 4GB machines at the same
> point.  Our solution was to increase the KVA space to 2GB from
> 1GB and rebuild the whole world with the new KVA setting.  The
> panics disappeared.

Yep, that was it. Well I upped KVA_PAGES from the default of 260 (in
LINT?) to 384 and rebuilt the kernel. Sysctl shows it now has plenty to
spare when running the rsyncs.
  Why did you have to rebuild world when changing this and not just the
kernel?
  Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information Services Division, Clifford Whitworth Building,