porting a webcam

Paulo Roberto nirv199 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 07:56:27 PDT 2003

Hello,

I am about to code my first kmod. I am trying to port an usb camera to
FreeBSD, and since I am new at system development, I hope you don't
mind helping me out. If this is not the correct list I should post,
please point me what list I should post to.

I got a few questions:

* Does the 5 series differs too much to from the 4-stable to write a
device driver? I am planning to code for 4.8 (the one I am using now)
and I wonder how hard would it be to port it later to the 5 series.

* I am reading the developers handbook, is there another good reference
recommended? Any good point of reference for usb/camera
protocols/device drivers?

* You guys think it is too difficult and I should just give up due to
my lack of experience? And if I manage to code properly, is it too
bureaucratic to get it into the FreeBSD kernel?

thanks,

Paulo Roberto