Using CVS diff to find out what has changed, including new files

Artem 'Zazoobr' Ignatjev timon at memphis.mephi.ru
Tue Aug 5 00:21:55 PDT 2003

On Mon, 04.08.2003, at 17:04, Rolf Grossmann wrote:

> I'm using cvsup for a while now to get a copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository
> and I have a (slightly modified) version of -STABLE checked out from there.
> Now there are certain areas where I'd like to see what changed before
> doing a "cvs update". Currently I'm using "cvs diff -u -N -r BASE -r RELENG_4"
> to do that. However this has one drawback that I'm hoping you'll be
> able to help me with: If files have been removed from the distribution,
> these files continue to show up as getting readded (even though they
> won't when doing an update). To see the problem, you can go to
> /usr/src/sbin/md5 and run the above cvs diff command.
Maybe server looks for those files in attic?

as far as I understand logics of cvs update, it won't rub out your local changes -
all you can get with cvs update are conflicts. Why not do cvs -n update -d, and then
cvs update -d, or even cvs update -d -I your/changed/file1 -I another/changed/file,
and then you can diff through this small (I suppose (: ) set of files

--
Artem 'Zazoobr' Ignatjev <timon at memphis.mephi.ru>