Using CVS diff to find out what has changed, including new files

Rolf Grossmann grossman at progtech.net
Mon Aug 4 06:05:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

first of all, I'd like to apologise. This may be a little off topic
for this list, but as I figured here are probably the people who have
the most experience with CVS and that may have the same problem, I
thought you might be able to help me.

I'm using cvsup for a while now to get a copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository
and I have a (slightly modified) version of -STABLE checked out from there.
Now there are certain areas where I'd like to see what changed before
doing a "cvs update". Currently I'm using "cvs diff -u -N -r BASE -r RELENG_4"
to do that. However this has one drawback that I'm hoping you'll be
able to help me with: If files have been removed from the distribution,
these files continue to show up as getting readded (even though they
won't when doing an update). To see the problem, you can go to
/usr/src/sbin/md5 and run the above cvs diff command.

Now one possible workaround is to leave out the -N, but then I won't get a
diff for files that really will be added. Did anyone else run into that
problem? Any solutions that I'm overlooking? All suggestions welcome.

Rolf