can we disable AAAA queries in the resolver ?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Aug 2 20:11:17 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:59:18AM +0100 I heard the voice of
David Malone, and lo! it spake thus:

> A significant number of these are ad servers, so after complaining
> to Doubleclick and getting no response, I've told my local name
> server that it is authorititive for doubleclick.net and given it
> an empty zone. Since doing this I don't notice the problem any more.

I short-circuited to hosts and ipfw.

# ipfw show 2
00002     14       864 reject ip from any to 127.0.0.2

# telnet ad.doubleclick.net 80
Trying 127.0.0.2...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.2: Permission denied
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

('course, DNS is better with multiple machines.  You could just burn a
single RFC1918 address for rejecting all the ad-type things)

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net