Assembly Syscall Question

Kip Macy kmacy at netapp.com
Sat Aug 2 14:23:56 PDT 2003

> Maybe, but they also support a lot of MMU-less architectures, so it may
> have made things simpler for them to not depend on MMU. I wonder if NUMA
> had any bearing on that as well...

No. The initial design of their VM greatly preceded NUMA and uCLinux. It
actually makes the system less portable in that it can require interspersing of
machine dependent code in the machine independent parts when the machines page
table layout differs from the default. The introduction to the UVM thesis has
some good points in this regard.

			-Kip