messing with CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 2 12:49:03 PDT 2003

On 2003.08.02 15:35:48 -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:

> I'm exploring the 'local repository' tactics as described in:
>
>   <http://www.scriptkiddie.org/freebsd/setting_up_local_repo.html>
[snip]
>   > cvs ci src
>   cvs commit: Examining src
>   You are committing on the wrong repository!
>   cvs commit: Pre-commit check failed
>   cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
>
> Where is this 'wrong repository' concept coming from?  My CVSROOT
> hasn't changed.  A google search for that disgnostic message yeilds
> no hits...

The problem is the file CVSROOT/nocommits.sh, which is used as a
safeguard in the FreeBSD tree.  I replace the file every time I run
cvsup with the following version:

<nocommits.sh>
#! /bin/sh
# $FreeBSD$
#
# This is just some basic anti-foot-shooting to avoid accidental commits
# to cvsup'ed copies of the repository etc.
OKUSER="simonln"
if [ "x`/usr/bin/id -un`" = "x${OKUSER}" ]; then
  exit 0
fi
echo "I should only commit as ${OKUSER}!"
exit 1
</nocommits.sh>

You could just make a simple script which call 'exit 0' (or perhaps
remove the file; I haven't tried that), but the above version fits
better into my rather odd setup :-).

I have started some work on documenting the CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM use,
but unfortunatly there are only 24 hours in a day, so I have no idea
when I will get around to finishing it.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team