messing with CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Sat Aug 2 12:35:50 PDT 2003

I'm exploring the 'local repository' tactics as described in:

  <http://www.scriptkiddie.org/freebsd/setting_up_local_repo.html>

which makes use of the CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM evironment variable.

This is all under 4.7-RELEASE.

My general method is:

  setenv CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM 1000
  setenv MYBRANCH just_testing
  setenv RELEASE RELENG_4_7
  setenv CVSROOT /annex/cvs/FreeBSD

  cvs rtag -b -r $RELEASE $MYBRANCH src
  cd /usr
  cvs checkout -r $MYBRANCH src/UPDATING
  cvs status src/UPDATING # check to see that this really is my branch
  vi src/UPDATING

When I try to commit, though:

  > cvs ci src
  cvs commit: Examining src
  You are committing on the wrong repository!
  cvs commit: Pre-commit check failed
  cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Where is this 'wrong repository' concept coming from?  My CVSROOT
hasn't changed.  A google search for that disgnostic message yeilds
no hits...

Any advice?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert at numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842