and daemons ? [was Re: Keeping a large shellbox stable and secure]

Thierry Herbelot thierry at herbelot.com
Thu Apr 24 11:45:53 PDT 2003

Le Thursday 24 April 2003 13:36, Philip Reynolds a écrit :

> The above program, for instance, should stop after a few seconds
> with an error (something equivalent to resources unavailable)
>
> Some sample settings would be:

[example with login.conf]

Hello,

login.conf is quite interesting with *interactive* users, but I'm wondering if
login.conf could also be used to constrain long-running processes, such as
daemons (you may imagine a list ...)

in the case of long-runnning-processes, a cap on CPU run time seems difficult
to use : either the cap is too low and the daemon is stopped when it should
not or the cap is too high, and you may be DOS'ed by a runaway process :-(

obviously, all other parameters can be usefully limited.

has someone played with daemons and resource limits of login.conf ?

	TfH