DE203 (le0) - strange bus crosstalk?

Christoph Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Apr 22 08:55:57 PDT 2003

I have a DEC 203 lance (ISA) card in a 5.0R server
and I recently received a fix from the driver author that
enabled the driver again under 5.0.

I'm now observing a very strange behaviour under X11
that went away immediately after I took out the card of the system.

With the card in place and a serial mouse at /dev/ttyd0 or /dev/cuaa0
moving the mouse caused pixels arbitrarily being set on the screen. Moreover
scrolling a window in the webbroswer caused the browser contents
foobared (f*cked up beyond any recognizability).
Like some screensaver does when it makes the screen look paralyzed.

I first swapped the Graphics card, an ELSA Syngery 8, against an
ELSA Winner 1000/T2D (that is a S3Trio64DX/V2). WIth that latter card I had
terrible trouble with XFree86-4.2.1 under 5.0R. I only got two modes
from XFree86 -configure which were 640x480 and 320x240.

When I moved the mouse with that graphics card in place it resulted in
flickering of the X screen from dark to normal with every other mouse movement.

I then removed a 3COM 3C905  to no avail until I found that the
DE-203 was the culprit.

Question is: Is it the ISA memory of the card (d8000-dffff ?) that caused the
trouble or is it something else (I/O, irq)?

Anyone seen this before?

Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies at rwth-aachen.de