max numbers of sockets?

Bogdan TARU bgd at icomag.de
Mon Apr 14 08:38:06 PDT 2003

	Hi hackers,

 I am running some test programs to check the max number of sockets I can
open on a machine. Don't ask why! :)

 The max number that I reached was 7318. I get 'Too many open files' when
trying to open more. And I am curious why. I have bumped the following
sysctl vars:

(17:32) root@(alice)[~] sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 15000
(17:32) root@(alice)[~] sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc
kern.maxfilesperproc: 15000
(17:33) root@(alice)[~] sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockets
kern.ipc.maxsockets: 15000

 When trying to run 'sysctl kern.openfiles' I get indeed:

(17:29) root@(alice)[~] sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 7419

 So there aren't any other processes 'eating up' the rest of the sockets.

 The other question that I've got is related to the 'vm.zone':

(17:28) root@(alice)[~] sysctl vm.zone
vm.zone:
ITEM            SIZE     LIMIT    USED    FREE  REQUESTS
socket:          192,    15000,   7348,     33,    43978

 I thought that the LIMIT == USED + FREE, but it seems it's not that
way... Could somebody explain?

 Thank you,
 bogdan

iCom Media AG