gcc iussue or ... ?

Gianmarco Giovannelli gmarco at giovannelli.it
Thu Apr 10 23:48:41 PDT 2003

The problem is very simple.
I mantain a unix/linux port of a UO emulator which works really fine
natively under FreeBSD.

The problem is that if I compile it under FreeBSD it is a binary of 19M,
while on linux (debian 3.0), same Makefile, is only 2MB. FreeBSD 5.0 and
OpenBSD 3.1 produce the (about) 19M file.
Mingw compiler under windows act like Linux.

There is no specific differences in FreeBSD/Linux code and the program run
very nice.

I wrote more detail about obj and data organization here:
http://pub41.ezboard.com/flonewolfemufrm4.showMessage?topicID=393.topic

If someone of you wants to try by himself to see what happens and why (much
appreciated), the daily src snapshot can be downloaded here:
http://games.gimbo.org/uo/binaries.pl

or for the lazy ones, , this is the complete link:
http://games.gimbo.org/uo/files/bin/lonewolf/cvs_src.tgz  (about 230kb)

Compiling is quite simple and easy:
make -f Makefile.unix

Any feedback is really appreciated because this iussue is really over my
(limited) skills :-)

Thanks at everyone...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco