tcp_output starving -- is due to mbuf get delay?

David Gilbert dgilbert at velocet.ca
Wed Apr 9 21:15:28 PDT 2003

Jin> Some details was left behind -- The machine is 2 GHz Intel P4
Jin> with 1 GB memory, so the delay is not from either CPU or lack of
Jin> memory.

I just want to quickly jump in with the comment that our GigE tests of
routing through FreeBSD have exposed several-order-of-magnitude
differences by changing ram/motherboard/which-slot-the-card-is-in.

Do not assume that a fast CPU is the key.  We went through 10
motherboards to commission the current routers ... and sometimes
faster cpus would route slower (in various combinations of
motherboards and RAM).

Dave.