tcp_output starving -- is due to mbuf get delay?

Jin Guojun [DSD] j_guojun at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 9 17:23:49 PDT 2003

The interesting result --

In normal FreeBSD TCP stack, the large delay goes away, but more small delays.

Apr  9 17:10:01 tcp_lion /kernel: sosend: td 23 3424 (bumped up from 1920)

The performance dropped badly to 92 Mb/s (no loss)

In my new TCP, I did not see any delay above 5 us, which is good, but
the overall TCP performance drop to 120 Mb/s. So, maybe either
there are a lot delay below 5 us and about 100 ns, or some other bottleneck
is trigged somewhere.

I guess there is more work to do to determine what is going on :-(
I will post whatever I will discover.

Thanks for pointing to the patch.

    -Jin

--