realtime problem

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 9 16:32:58 PDT 2003

Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Bernd Walter wrote:
> BW>Well it's wishfull to have non failures on my requirements, but if it
> BW>does fail once it is detectable and it only costs a small amount of
> BW>money - noone will die because of it.
> BW>If I would need garantied 100% acuracy, then I would spend the money
> BW>into a microcontroller to do the job.
> BW>In fact I need it for the programming impulse on writing EPROMs and
> BW>GALs.
> BW>GALs are the devices which may need a 1ms programming impulse, but I
> BW>don't know if there are really devices on the maket which use 1ms.
> BW>EPROMS are not very sensible on the programming length.
> BW>I really hate that available burners need DOS or Windows.
>
> So that is really not a classical real-time problem. The above should
> work.

I still recommoned shoving HZ up by over a factor of 10, and the
quantum down by a factor of at least 5 less than the precision
required.  That will (almost) guaranteed that you are always in a
loose ballpark around your 1mS deadline, which should be less than
500uS.  You may lose out once in a while, but it shouldn't bee too
often (I assume the thing's not going to be exposed to the Internet
;^)).

-- Terry