Undeletable ATA RAID

Sean Hamilton sh at bel.bc.ca
Tue Apr 8 22:51:32 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I recently added two disks to a FreeBSD system and created an ATA array with
them. Upon rebooting, the existing array (formerly ar0) became ar1, and the
new array was now ar0. Accordingly, the system didn't boot. I have since
removed the second disk from the new array, and now the array ar0 (the new
array) is undeletable. It complains the second disk doesn't exist. When I
attempt to delete it, it simply returns upon reboot, and the system is again
unbootable. It even survived a zeroing of the first disk!

This is on 5.0-RELEASE.

sh