generalized mergemaster(8)

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 6 13:52:14 PDT 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 12:06:06PM +0100, Michael Ranner wrote:
> Am Freitag, 21. M?rz 2003 20:27 schrieb Garance A Drosihn:
> > >
> > >  /var/tmp/temproot/etc/rc.d/ and /etc/rc.d/ have 17 differing files.
> > >  (I)nstall, (D)elete, or (R)ecursively examine? [R]
> > >
> > >Then I could hit 'I' and update all of /etc/rc.d at once.
> >
> > At times I've asked Doug about some kind of pattern-support in
> > ~/.mergemasterrc, where the user could specify filename-patterns
> > of files where they want the default action to be "install"
> > instead of "leave for later".  There are pros and cons with that
> > idea, but that's what I was thinking of for the directories you
> > describe.
> >
> > Doug has suggested that people could maybe do things with the
> > MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT, for special processing like this.
>
> I have a small patch for pattern-support in ~/.mergemasterrc and
> already sent my ideas to Doug, but he said "It could/should
> be done with MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT" to me.

Could you post them??

Dougb says that all the time, but has never created an example that will
do what 90% of us want.  Every time the desire for this comes up, dougb
says it is outside of the envisioned purpose of mergemaster.  Seems to me
that if the tool isn't meeting the desires of 90% of your user base, maybe
it could grow the functionality desired....