libperl stage-qa check and libraries that do not link against libperl.so

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 18 15:18:46 UTC 2016

+--On 18 janvier 2016 08:00:29 -0200 Raphael Kubo da Costa
<rakuco at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
| Mathieu Arnold <mat at FreeBSD.org> writes:
|
|> +--On 17 janvier 2016 23:12:36 +0100 Raphael Kubo da Costa
|> |
|> | Right. If linking against libperl.so and not linking against it are
|> | both fine, does it still make sense to have that stage-qa check?
|>
|> There is a stage-qa check because if you link against libperl.so, you
|> MUST have rpath set to the path of libperl.so, it happens if the port is
|> doing what Perl should be doing and getting it wrong.  Also, sometime,
|> you don't link with libperl.so, and it's a mistake, and it should be.
|>
|> There are a few cases where it's not needed, but when I added the qa
|> check when I changed libperl.so to be versionned, out of all the ports
|> that install .so in PERL_ARCH, there were, say, 3 or 4 that had a .so
|> that did not need to be linked with libperl.so.
|
| How about making the "not linked with libperl.so.x.y" warning non-fatal
| then? Right now I cannot just ignore it as suggested because it makes
| the script exit with a non-zero error code.

I just had a look at the commit, and the qa script is right.  The author is
wrong, the .so contains Perl code and must be linked with libperl.so.  It
must be linked with it so that when the major Perl version is changed (like
5.20 -> 5.22 that is happening soon(tm)) the link allows pkg to know that
the package needs to be reinstalled so that it continues to work.

| While here: there's a FIXME comment in this part that talks about
| changing the linkage detection logic, but it does not specify what
| should be changed. Do you have more information? I could try to fix both
| issues and send a patch for review.

I forgot about the FIXME. It works as intented right now, I'll have a look
at it later.

--
Mathieu Arnold