finance/gnucash Help and Custom Reports broken after upgrade to 2.6.0

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 1 10:31:01 UTC 2014

On 01/14/14 00:50, John Marshall wrote:
> [Please CC me as I am not subscribed to this list]
>
> gnome@ is listed as the MAINTAINER for gnucash and gnucash-docs, so I'm
> supposing that this is the right place to ask these questions. Please
> point me at the correct mailing list (office? ports?) if I'm wrong.
>
>   FreeBSD	9.2-RELEASE i386
>   Xfce		4.10_6
>   gnucash	2.6.0	(was 2.4.13_1)
>   gnucash-docs	2.6.0	(was 2.4.1_1)
>   ports tree	^/head r339270
>
> After upgrading ports from the r339270 tree I have not been able to
> figure out how to access custom report templates (.scm files), or access
> the product Help. Everything works if I revert to backup packages from
> the previous versions.
>
> REPORTS
>
> I can see from the Gnucash release notes that config stuff changed
> between 2.4 and 2.6 but I don't see any clues as to what I'm supposed to
> do to migrate settings. Is this documented somewhere?
>
> In ~/.gnucash/config.user I have a list of statements like:
>
>    (load "foo.scm") ;;
>
> I'm guessing that perhaps the config.user file and the .scm files need
> to be copied somewhere else; if so, where?
>
> HELP
>
> Selecting either the Tutorial or Contents options from the Help menu
> yields a pop-up dialogue window with messages like:
>
>    The file ‘//usr/local/share/doc/gnucash-docs/gnucash-guide.xml’ does
> not exist.
>
> The message reflects reality and find(1) tells me that the required file
> lives in:
>
>    /usr/local/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/C/gnucash-guide.xml
>    /usr/local/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/de/gnucash-guide.xml
>    /usr/local/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/it/gnucash-guide.xml
>    /usr/local/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/ja/gnucash-guide.xml
>
> How do I tell gnucash where to look?
>
> Reverting to 2.4.13 means that I'm not stuck at present, but I do
> realize that I need to upgrade and move on.
>
> Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide; and thank you
> for maintaining these ports. Pointers to documentation which explains
> all this would be appreciated.

Hi!

kwm pointed me at this email.

I have filed a PR to upgrade gnucash to 2.6.1.

I've been unable to reproduce the first problem you report with gnucash
2.6.1, I was able to create a custom report and load it from config.user
without specifying a path, the scm file being in .gnucash too.

For the second problem I upgraded and patched gnucash-docs too, and it
is now able to find the needed xml files.

I filed them in PR ports/186203 [1], could you test the third patch in
that PR and report back regarding both of your problems? (note: the
patch is relative to the ports root)

Thanks in advance!

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/186203

--